9/11/2006

Toronto International Film Fest: The Aftermath

The Toronto International Film Fest. Wow! What an amazing experience, even if Bao and I managed to watch two films, we somehow are still talking about them. Okay, fine, maybe I'm still talking about it but the two films we watched deserved by 4 of 5 and 5 of 5 rating.

Bao and I attended the TIFF on Sept. 10th and watched "London to Brighton" at 3:00p and we managed to get rush tickets for "2:37" at 8:00p. I've never been good at writing reviews for films since I feel it's an artform that once you describe it, it loses its effect, but I'll try my best.

"London to Brighton"
LoB is a UK film, directed by Paul Andrew Williams. It's about a prostitute named Kelly, a young street-girl named Joanne, Kelly's pimp, and Kelly's pimp's client's son. Sorry, I'm terrible at names and at I must have missed their names but I'm sure I can look it up on IMDB. So LoB follows Kelly and Joanne's "escape" from Brighton since they're both being chased down by Kelly's pimp. Why are they being chased? That's where you have to watch the movie and find out! If I said anymore, I'd be giving away too much of the story.

"2:37"
2:37 is an Austrailian film about a group of highschool students who are three months from graduating and all their problems in life. There's a whole cast of characters, which unfortunately has long escaped me since I started writing this on Monday morning and now it's the end of the week. So again, without saying too much and potentially ruining the movie, the film title is the time in which one of these highschool students commit suicide. The morale of the story is that we can all become so wrapped up in our own problems that we become oblivious to other people's problems to the point where once their gone, they can be gone forever. Alright, so that didn't sound the way I wanted to but I'm not really in a philosophizing mood tonight.

Anyways, I suggested to Bao that we should volunteer for TIFF next year so that we can get free tickets for ourselves instead of spending $20 per movie. Hopefully we'll stick to that plan.

6 Comments:

Blogger transcendent said...

1) I just noticed you've expanded the scope of your blog.
2) Wow! your post is so much more informative and easier to read than Bao's ramblings (no offense, Bao).
3) I've always wanted to attend the TIFF since I love movies, but either school gets in the way or I'm too far from TO at the time, darn it. (Well, my parents did take me when I was little, but I don't think there's much there that kids can enjoy.)

9/21/2006 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Wen, Bao and I are going to organize a TIFF outting next near and possibly volunteer. Volunteering gets us 3 free tickets and it'll be way more economical than spending $20/ticket.

10/17/2006 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Bao said...

technically, it's only $15.50+tx a ticket...

and I dunno about volunteering... in my brain, it's like doing work, and getting paid in tickets... so if it's 2 hours of work for 1 ticket, it's like getting paid $8/hour :P

10/17/2006 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger transcendent said...

I don't think free tickets is the main motivation for volunteering. People volunteer because they want to donate their time for a cause. That said, it isn't exactly enough motivation for me.

If I come down for the festival, I'll probably need to stay overnight at Bao's, if that's OK with him.

10/18/2006 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Ok, I'll admit it would be extremely selfish of me to volunteer for the next TIFF only for the free tickets.

Since TIFF only happens once a year, it is well worth the $20/ticket.

10/19/2006 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger Bao said...

TIFF 07:
July 4 - Full Website Live
July 9 - Passes and Coupons on sale to Visa cardholders
July 16 - Cash sales begin for Passes and Coupons
August 21 - Film List live
August 25 - Gala Tickets on Sale
August 28 - Programme Books, Official Film Schedule, and Pass and Coupons selection forms available
August 31 - Pass and Coupon selection forms due by 1pm
September 5 - Tickets on sale
September 6 - The 32nd TIFF Begins!

6/25/2007 05:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home