7/10/2006

My Room Is Shrinking: A Pack Rat's Curse

There comes a time when one realizes that one's room is getting smaller because of the continual accumulation of stuff.

My room is approximately 10 feet by 12 feet and it's starting to shrink as more stuff is piled up. Along the north and west wall is my desk which fits nicely into the corner of the room. For those of you who've never step foot into my room, my desk has a triangular section that fits flush with the corner and two table sections are along the north and west wall, respectively. A hutch sits on the west table and I always have textbooks, magazines, journals, and miscellaneous stuff piled there. On the north table is a laser print that takes up half the table space and I've done my best to keep the rest of it clean so I have some workspace.

Moving clockwise, beside my desk is my bureau. It's not the prettiest looking thing but it does a good job holding my clothes. Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping up with the "out with the old and in with the new" routine and the new keeps moving in and the old hasn't moved out.

Sitting snuggly between my north table and bureau is my aluminium tool briefcase. During my time at Ryerson, I've slowly accumulated more and more electronic components. Initially I started out with a small, tan-colored tackle box that I borrowed from my dad. Then I upgraded to a larger, dark blue, plastic, MasterCraft tool chest and I moved everything from the tan tackle box into it. But soon after that I "out grew" that tool chest and I recently upgraded to the aluminium tool briefcase. It's a heavy sucker since I have a lot of stuff in it but it's more convenient to carry and it looks professional!

Continuing to the east side of my room is my closet. And there are no skeletons in it, both figuratively and literally. From floor to ceiling, my closet is jammed with cardboard boxes of stuff, clothing that I should sort out and donate to Good Will and I should figure out what else I can offload. And my bed. Not much to say about it, other than I sleep in it and whenever I buy a new book, I turn on the small fluorescent lamp mounted just above my head and sometimes read into the early hours of the morning.

Beside my bed, on the south wall is a large, blue plastic bin full of clothes, which again I have to sort through and determine what I can donate. Sitting on the bin is my alarm clock which is conveniently beside my head.

Moving back to the west wall, I have a small Ikea bookshelf. Unfortunately, I have too many textbooks that I'm unwilling to part from, thus I need a bookshelf that's big enough to accomodate all of my present reading material and have enough free space for the future. As soon as my dad is free from other stuff around the house, I'll ask him to make me a new shelf.

As you can see, I have too much old clothing in my room that needs to be donated and I'm afraid that it'll take me a while to properly sort through my stuff and get rid of whatever I don't need. One possibility is converting the attic into storage space, which the entrance is conveniently in my room. But I don't think that's the best idea since I'm not sure how structurally sound is the attic.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason Yu said...

Detailed description of your room.. ;)

7/21/2006 04:00:00 PM  
Blogger Theomnifish said...

Hey Ricky, your post reminded me of the cool shrinking effect from the BSG FTL drives, heh.

Too bad they show that effect much in the series...

7/21/2006 04:03:00 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

I guess it would've been easier to take pictures of my room but that might have been a TMI moment.

Alan, I can't see how my post can remind you of the shrinking effect for the BSG FTL drives. Care to share?

7/21/2006 06:28:00 PM  
Blogger Theomnifish said...

Well, I guess I should've said not the actual post itself, but just the title, heh.

8/01/2006 12:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home